Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Legacy

I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.  Psalm 34:1

I love music.  I'm moved by it and find power in words and melodies.  I don't sing well but I still do it at the top of my lungs.  I often am inspired or convicted by certain songs.  One of my favorites is "Legacy" by Nichole Nordeman.  It's old - I think it came out in 2006, but the words are powerful and her voice is beautiful.  Here's a link to a YouTube video with the music and lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GxmLaaAwg

Here are just the lyrics if you don't want to listen (although you should, it's beautiful):

Legacy by Nichole Nordeman
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...
______________________________________________________________
I often think of parents and kids when I hear the word legacy.  But leaving a legacy doesn't just apply to parents.  It applies to all of us and extends beyond the impact we have on our families.  If someone surveyed people in your life and asked for three words to describe you, what would people say?
Sweet, kind, patient, happy, honest, hard-working, faithful, friendly, a great mom/dad/daughter/son/wife/husband...

All of those are worthy attributes and we should strive to be those things.  Would anyone describe you as a woman or man of God?  A prayer warrior?  A humble servant?  Someone who "blesses God's name apologetically"?

What kind of mark do you want to leave?  After watching 2 weeks of the Olympics, so many athletes in interviews say they want to be remembered as the best in their sport.  And they leave their marks... for a while.  But the marks they leave do not impact eternity.  Not that their goals and achievements aren't special or important and some of them do use their athletic abilities as a platform to share Jesus.  But by the next Olympics (or maybe the one after) only a small percentage are still talked about or still competing.  The gold, silver and bronze "trinkets" they received will one day get lost, boxed up or fade away somehow.

Ever since I've been a member of North Monroe Baptist, I can think of a humble servant who has rocked bed babies week after week, year after year.  She is the sweetest, quietest, humblest lady and she consistently and faithfully rocks those babies.  She's rocked mine and she's rocked countless others.  It's not a glamorous role, it's not one that most people clamor to have, it doesn't bring her notoriety... but it has allowed hundreds of parents over the years to be able to attend church activities.  She is leaving her legacy on so many families; I'm sure she has no idea the impact she has.

We don't have to speak to stadiums or win Olympic medals to leave a legacy... we have to use the gifts God has given us faithfully and joyfully.

I feel so convicted to do more with my time here than just survive and keep doing what I'm doing.  I want people to call me a woman of God, someone who blessed his name "apologetically."  Every challenge we face, every bad day we have, every obstacle, every hurt - all chances to affect our legacies.  If you're in the valley now, make a choice.  Choose to discover how God wants to use your current pain to impact someone else for His glory.  This life is short and we only have one chance.  If you're faithfully serving, know that God IS using you for His kingdom.  You may not always feel like it, but if you are faithful to Him and the call on your life, then you are right where He wants you.

Now for the dizziness update and a new prayer request...
I went to the new ENT in town today b/c I'm having recurring sinus pressure in my cheeks and head.  I do have some swelling so I am back on antibiotics for 2 weeks.  I also discussed my frequent migraines with him.  He speculated that I MAY have vestibular migraines... these migraines affect the guess what?  VESTIBULAR nerve.  You know, the one that controls the body's balance function.  He is trying me on a medication to see if it helps with my migraines AND my dizziness.  I feel very torn.  I am excited that there may be a stone we have not overturned but I'm VERY apprehensive about taking new medicine.  I have been off of the other "dizzy-medicine" (as I call it) for two and a half weeks.  I've been overjoyed to not be taking meds for my dizziness and now he's wanting me to try new meds.  This one isn't so much for the dizziness as it is to control the blood vessels around my vestibular nerve.  It shouldn't drug me up or sedate my brain like the other one but I'm still wary.  Anyway, please pray that if this is not the right direction I will know immediately and quit taking the medicine.

As always, thank you for the prayers, love, calls, texts, cards, messages... they mean more than you could ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment