Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Decisions, decisions

Numbers 6:24-26 (NIV)
24 “‘The LORD bless you and keep you; 25 the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; 26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.”’

We got a few options yesterday and none of them right now are giving me peace so I'm meditating on this scripture, asking for peace, asking that my heart will be open for peace.

Option 1 - severe the balance nerve in my left ear via brain surgery. This will cure the vertigo once and forever. The docs patients who do this are always "the happiest" - he only does about 5 of these a year so it's not that he's just knife-happy.

Option 2 - a series of shots that place a toxic substance on the nerve essentially killing it - anywhere from 3 to 4 outpatient procedures. This usually cures the vertigo with a high percentage of success. I know people who have done this and they have been cured but some have had to go back for repeat shots.

Option 3 - vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Because of the severity and frequency of vertigo attacks over the last few months my balance nerve is only working at about 10% capacity - that's why I'm dizzy every day, all day. This is a great option ONLY IF the vertigo attacks have stopped. If not, I do the therapy (which is extremely uncomfortable, will take weeks and will make me very, very sick) but then if I have another attack, the nerve will be re-damaged and I'm back where I started - it's a cycle if my attacks aren't gone.

So, the doctor said based on my case and history, Option 1 without a doubt. Here's the catch... with Options 1 or 2 - these will cure me and life will be "normal" again but if anything (i.e. Meniere's disease) happens in my right ear, my body will be without balance function. The doc said the chances are 1 in 1000 and he has 2 patients like this - in wheelchairs with absolutely no quality of life.

Jonathan and I are seeking out Option 3. Please pray that my vertigo attacks are gone. Please pray that this therapy will work. Please pray that during the days/weeks of therapy I will be able to find a level at which to function.

Please pray for peace and peace to all of you!

PS - THANK YOU to everyone who continues to check in, offer help, keep the kids, drive me places, etc... We are so blessed to have had the opportunity to fly back and forth to Austin yesterday... a 3 day trek turned into about a nine hour day - praise God!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,
    I am praying for wisdom for you and Jonathan as you seek the right decision and am confident that you will make the right one. I'm also praying that the vertigo will cease so that you can explore Option3. Love you so much!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete